Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ice Skating

Went along with friend PP to her daughter's ice-skating practice. After her practice, the daughter insisted that I joined her for a freestyle session. As a requirement, in order to not embarass myself, I asked PP to join us as well, but the daughter did not want her mother to join us. To please her daughter's wish, I got into my skates and into the big ice rink I go.

While putting my rental skates on, a friend came by to say hi and he was going into the rink which was a good thing because he gave me some pointers and skated with me for about half a rink. I was not as nervous as I thought I would be and I was doing pretty well skating a little at a time without hogging the wall. Then about halfway, I thought I was doing really good and try to speed up a little, then without paying much attention to my balance, I slipped backward, on my butt. Wow, I haven't landed on my butt for a long time and boy it hurt so bad on impact haha

He helped me up and I stood up again on my skates but this time paying more attention. He says to bend knees, but then I remembered with roller-blading, we'd have to lean forward and that helped me a lot too with ice-skating. The first round on the rink was absolute torture and slow but I got much better as I go around and faster and with more confidence. I think in total I did about 10 rounds and I could feel that my feet was getting tired. I stepped out of the rink and changed into my sneakers, it felt weird walking after that.

All in all, it was not too bad of a first experience. I'm liking ice-skating and will be doing a lot more skating in the future :)

No comments: